-->

Front Diff Housing Ball Joint Rust

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Stonepointer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I Have just had the front diff housing replaced under warranty. I had my engineer come to Toyota while they were performing the capped price wheel bearing repacking to measure axles and check hubs and bearings for the Report to legally Drive with -44 offset 10" rims with 315's. Unluckily for me they happened to find all 4 outer wheel bearings had been overheated and the trunnion Bearings were notchy in the steering. He was quick to point the finger at the rims and tyres and said 'no way i can approve them'

Upon replacing the trunnion bearings and seals etc they found excessive rust on the ball joints also they were full of water. The supervisor rang me saying your housing has barnacles on it. Long story short they replaced it under warranty but made me pay for the bearings.

It is thought that the bearings were never greased and repacked at the 20,000k mark as the service manual requires. The engineers sums say that the rims and tyres will decrease the outer wheel bearing by 50%. Toyota say they should last 500 000KM with regular servicing

The Engineer has since approved my rims and tyres but requires an inspection on one wheel after 5000k and another after 13500k if they are all good after that i can keep them.

The car had done 36,000k from new.

2012 LC 76 MW.4" Superflex Amada remote reservoir lift. 16x10 Allied Thunder rims with 315/75 KM2 Tread. Engineered, registered and insured. GVM upgrade to 3500kg. ARB front Kaymar rear. Superwinch X9.
Stonepointer

Re: Front Diff Housing Ball Joint Rust

Postby Stonepointer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:59 pm

These are the wheel bearings at 36,000k

2012 LC 76 MW.4" Superflex Amada remote reservoir lift. 16x10 Allied Thunder rims with 315/75 KM2 Tread. Engineered, registered and insured. GVM upgrade to 3500kg. ARB front Kaymar rear. Superwinch X9.
Stonepointer

Postby Donk on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Lack of lubrication on the trunion bearings is mostly the cause. Maybe a faulty seal. The machines we run underground have a similar knuckle/trunion setup. They live in salt water and i have never seen one with rust on it before. They are lubricated every week (if the grease line isnt busted :roll: )

Also the ball joints. Was there even any grease in and around the CV area? If they do the 20,000km grease service that should not be occuring at all. When you grease the insides of the ball joint when you turn its smears a new layer of gear over the ball. wouldnt surprise me if your wiper seals are all but buggered now
2010 79 Workmate Ultimate 2" lift, 285/75r16 Mickey T ATZ 4 ribs, speedy territory alloys 16x7.5, ARB bar work, Ctek dual battery setup, onboard ARB compressor, Lightforce 240 HID XGT's, Fuel manager, Safari snorkel head
Donk

Postby VDJ ED on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:20 pm

bugger! It's kinda sad that Toyota releases a 4wd but the servicing sector lets it down by (in essence) being lazy to do 4 wheel bearings. Oh well, bright side is you got a brand new front housing free.

I had to replace one wheel bearing not long after picking mine up second hand because ol-mate had forgotten about them and most of the grease had turned brown and dry :/ who knows what the others are like.

Some other people had a very similar story to yours stone on here or 4wdaction (I forget)
"You mean that shorter stick isnt to hold your handbag?"
VDJ ED

Postby tulula on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Are Toyota caped service people competent to carry out a thorough 4wd service?? All this sounds too scary for me after discovering my oil sump plug was finger loose and a cracked fan dial being super glued stuck. Makes me loose all faith.
Sand Taupe Troopy VDJ78, 3" TD Adj, 500kg constant, TD adj S dampener/panhard, SE superflex arms/comp spec steering/tierod/diff + trans guard, ARB Locked F+R, DBA T3 rotors,16x8 Allied Locka -22, 315/75-16 MT TTCs, longranger 180ltr sub, CC intercooler/gsl crossover pipe/3" taipan/chip tune/steinbour/k&n, 4 x optima bluetop/2x redarcisolator/ctek 250s/110w solar panel/1500w inverter
tulula

Postby Stonepointer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Yep. Thats the thing you never know if they did or didnt do it. But if all is good in another 20000km the engineer recons i will have a claim on my hands and could get reimbursed for all the bearings and labour. He will have the photos and evidence to prove it along with his professional reputation. After the capped price servicing runs out i will do it all.
Stonepointer

Postby Stonepointer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm

tulula wrote:Are Toyota caped service people competent to carry out a thorough 4wd service?? All this sounds too scary for me after discovering my oil sump plug was finger loose and a cracked fan dial being super glued stuck. Makes me loose all faith.

After my 20000km service. The one that didnt get dobe properly i relised two weeks after that they had cleaned all the mud and dust from the engine bay. I thought this was great untill i saw all the leaves were removed from the intercooler and all the finns were damaged. Arseholes. It was too late to say anything abd im going to replace it anyway.

I have now found a small reliable service centre i now trust.
Stonepointer

Postby VDJ ED on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm

tulula wrote:Are Toyota caped service people competent to carry out a thorough 4wd service?? All this sounds too scary for me after discovering my oil sump plug was finger loose and a cracked fan dial being super glued stuck. Makes me loose all faith.

Your kidding!? Hope that first year was fired *shakes fist*
VDJ ED

Postby tulula on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Dead serious mate, if they are going to have inexperience apprentices on the job, service department need to be accountable and check the work that's been carried out. Sorry ed, this post really needs to be in the whinge post.
Sand Taupe Troopy VDJ78, 3" TD Adj, 500kg constant, TD adj S dampener/panhard, SE superflex arms/comp spec steering/tierod/diff + trans guard, ARB Locked F+R, DBA T3 rotors,16x8 Allied Locka -22, 315/75-16 MT TTCs, longranger 180ltr sub, CC intercooler/gsl crossover pipe/3" taipan/chip tune/steinbour/k&n, 4 x optima bluetop/2x redarcisolator/ctek 250s/110w solar panel/1500w inverter
tulula

Postby VDJ ED on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Honestly this might turn into
Another dealer bashing thread hahah, but seeing how the internal work is carried out its not surprising tulula that the plug was left loose... While Toyota run a quality control set up (having someone check the car over) the sump plug isn't looked at. That and having a barley qualified apprentice do a service because it's just "oil+filter" it happens. Happens pretty much every week at my work :(

Just an interesting point that ill double check when I'm back at my workshop... Everyone's familiar with the 6bolts on their locking hubs? I'll double check with the Toyota workshop manual and see if grease is meant to be visible inside the lockable hub. If so, you can ( if suspicious about your service) take off the 6 bolts and have a quick look to see if fresh grease is inside.

Just something to think about. Anyone else think it's sounds like a good idea? Again ill double check on the manual before telling people to start ripping apart their hubs hahaha
VDJ ED

Postby tulula on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Yeah stonepointer, same same, after I had realized that they snapped the dial and subsequently I couldn't remove the face panel off to remove the cd player I was p&#^÷ed off, and the sump plug I found out a few weeks later and it was just a coincident that I decided to check the plug and was terribly surprised to see it unscrew with the greatest of ease.

Any one know a top 4x4 service center in adelaide ???
tulula

Postby tulula on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah ed it's unfortunate, but quite apparent too.
tulula

Postby Boxhead55 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 am

tulula wrote:Dead serious mate, if they are going to have inexperience apprentices on the job, service department need to be accountable and check the work that's been carried out. Sorry ed, this post really needs to be in the whinge post.

They are accountable so go back and tell them the situation. Who knows the person working on your ute may be on tree last strike and will loose there job. This will stop it happening to another person!

I have sacked many an apprentice. Yes they have to learn. But they also have to be accountable for there mistakes.
Boxhead55

Postby Boxhead55 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:36 am

Yea every 20 000km seams exclave but you can tell if it has been missed. And also of re ball is not greased every 40 000km you can also tell. And sadly that is normally missed !
I recon the real reason for the 20000km bearing service is to replace all the seals. To keep the water out. Just what I think.
And I agree that we have cruisers that have over 300000 km on them and still on the same bearings.
Boxhead55

Postby kyle300exc on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 am

Good info Stoney, nothing against Toyota but I have reason to be concerned with my experiences with my local dealership service dept' also.
Boxhead what is the best way to tell the service has been carried out correctly?
2013 LC DC ,GVM upgrade lift kit, 285 BFG muddies, ARB bar, Warn Winch, Outback Console GME4500, 120lt Aux fuel tank, 90lt water tank, Ultimate coil over rear shocks, Tracklander rack, Aurora 40" light bar, led rock lights
kyle300exc

Postby Boxhead55 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 am

Trust the shop your taking it to. Don't put paint marks on cause if I see that I put my marks back in the same place but a different colour.
Boxhead55

Postby alby on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 am

I also don't want to bag the dealers but I had my 20 k done at dealer and my 30 k at my trusted local mechanic who said the front wheel bearings were loose :o, he asked me if I wanted to take it back to dealer to fix it but I just got him to fix it to save teh hassle.
It is not really a dealer problem as such but more a problem dealing with a larger organisation who has many employees with some being more competent than others but it is a luckydip who does your job. With a small business you know who is doing the work and soon find out if you want to continue with them.
2013 DC 79 GXL, 33 inch MTZ muddies, ultimate suspension with GVM upgrade, 110 litre second fuel tank, gullwing Canopy! Warn winch, ARB bar,Lightforce XGT, FM100 fuel manager,Ctek charger
alby

Postby Stonepointer on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:36 pm

tulula wrote:Any one know a top 4x4 service center in adelaide ???

What side of town you on?
Yea i have one i trust Tim and Luke from Golden Grove Motors
Or
CMI Stepney ask for Ben - Top bloke - nothing to hard honest and expensive

My mate uses an old school mechanic across the road from Castle Plaza on Raglan Ave.- Honest
Stonepointer

Postby Stonepointer on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 am

VDJ ED wrote:Honestly this might turn into
Another dealer bashing thread hahah, but seeing how the internal work is carried out its not surprising tulula that the plug was left loose... While Toyota run a quality control set up (having someone check the car over) the sump plug isn't looked at. That and having a barley qualified apprentice do a service because it's just "oil+filter" it happens. Happens pretty much every week at my work :(

Just an interesting point that ill double check when I'm back at my workshop... Everyone's familiar with the 6bolts on their locking hubs? I'll double check with the Toyota workshop manual and see if grease is meant to be visible inside the lockable hub. If so, you can ( if suspicious about your service) take off the 6 bolts and have a quick look to see if fresh grease is inside.

Just something to think about. Anyone else think it's sounds like a good idea? Again ill double check on the manual before telling people to start ripping apart their hubs hahaha

So ED what did you come up with? Is there anyway of checking the bearings have been done?
Stonepointer

Postby tulula on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 am

Thank stonepointer, I'm at Munno para atm but will be moving to everard park in a few weeks. Might pop into golden Grove motors and spin a yarn.
tulula

Postby VDJ ED on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Stonepointer wrote:
VDJ ED wrote:Honestly this might turn into

So ED what did you come up with? Is there anyway of checking the bearings have been done?

Don't shoot me :( did my radiator today and completely forgot to check...workshop was flat out today with people everywhere. Sorry guys :(
VDJ ED

Postby VDJ ED on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm

ok, got it.
"apply MP grease to the inner hub splines"

this is what i did with mine when i did my bearings as it didnt have any to being with. but i put grease everywhere inside as i was a little anal about it hahah

****WORD OF ADVICE****
1.if your going to remove the 6 bolts on the free wheeling hub, MAKE SURE you dont tear the paper gasket thats on there unless your going to replace it.

2. make sure its set to "free" otherwise when you remove the hub the locking mechanism falls out as it isnt clipped into the backing plate.

i will be taking mine off tomorrow to show a comparison between "done" wheel bearings and "missed bearings".
VDJ ED

Postby Stonepointer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Good Work ED, Is this a photo of the service disc? (AA0582EA)

I bought Toyota CD Manual (AA0582EA) i find it hard to navigate but i can't find anything on there about the wheel bearings and hub assembly at all.
Stonepointer

Postby Stonepointer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm

I have a question for everyone? How HOT should the hubs get while driving on the HWY? When i locked my hubs in Friday arvo i noticed they were hotish. I have just come back from Goolwa Beach to Adelaide (about 1hr30mins drive) I stopped at the end of the freeway to check the tyre pressure for the 4 degree rule and check the temp of the hubs. All Front, rear and trailer hubs were hot and were too hot to leave my hand on them. I have never taken any notice before until all 4 outer bearings were discoloured from heat last month. Is it normal for wheel bearings to get quite warm. We checked my mates 98 Hilux and they were cool to touch.
Stonepointer

Postby Donk on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:58 pm

They get hotish but shouldn't get to the point where you cant leave your hand on it. Grease usually starts to deterior at this temp. I had a temp problem with my hilux but it turned out to be a ceased brake piston. If you lift your truck up and spin your wheels you can usually feel if theres to much preload or somthign grabbing
2010 79 Workmate Ultimate 2" lift, 285/75r16 Mickey T ATZ 4 ribs, speedy territory alloys 16x7.5, ARB bar work, Ctek dual battery setup, onboard ARB compressor, Lightforce 240 HID XGT's, Fuel manager, Safari snorkel head
Donk

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls